The Girl in 6E by Alessandra Torre
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Holy Shitballs. That was intense!
I read Blindfolded Innocence and The Dumont Diaries by Alessandra Torre and LOVED them. So I went to see what else I could read by this talented author and I found The Girl in 6E.
I knew from the blurb that it was different from the other books I typically read so I was excited to dive in. But I must admit, I was a bit scared to read about a girl that had homicidal thoughts. Um, this is not a subject I would go looking to read about. That being said, I have liked 2 other books by this author so I wanted to give it a chance.
This book was soooooo different. Deanna has sequestered herself for 3 years because she has an urge to kill people and she doesn't want to. And she survives by working online as a cam girl.
Alessandra Torre gives us the treat of many different POV's. I thought this might be confusing, but I LOVED it! Well done - one of my favorite aspects of the book. It gave a certain element of depth and I found myself more attached to the characters because of it. If you don't connect with Deanna, then you might connect with Carolyn or Jeremy or Annie. While I might have harbored a homicidal thought or two before (road rage, husband, etc), I don't have thoughts of actual killing, so I was worried that I might be put off by getting in Deanna's head. The other characters helped balance this out.
The writing is fantastic. I was instantly gripped by the story and had no idea what was going to happen. The book was calling my name and I tried to sneak in minutes here or there to read more. I was so distracted that my kids almost missed the bus this morning because I started reading while they were eating breakfast and the time totally got away from me.
This book had explicit sex in it, but not in the way you would think. It describes how Deanna (or Jessica) works as a cam girl. She has sex with clients through the computer. I have never read about this profession before and it was definitely interesting.
I loved Jeremy and Annie.
I read so often that some of the story lines feel the same and predictable. This book was very different.
So, while it's NOT a predictable romance book that will have you swooning over dreamy characters, it IS an awesome read that will have you gripping the edge of your kindle thinking, "what's going to happen, what's going to happen, OMG, OMG!"
CH - Nope!
Thank you, Alessandra, for an original, gripping story!
View all my reviews

No comments:
Post a Comment