Thursday, August 1, 2013

Bella's review of The Redemption of Callie and Kayden by Jessica Sorensen

The Redemption of Callie and Kayden (The Coincidence, #2)The Redemption of Callie and Kayden by Jessica Sorensen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was among those not so patiently waiting for this release since I finished The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden. And it was released a whole week early! I re-read The Coincidence since it had been so long and I needed everything fresh in my mind.

At the beginning of this book, I felt nothing but frustration! Kayden's mom??? I want to drop kick her. Followed by some hair pulling. And then a sucker punch directly to her nose. and karate chop her neck. Then rip off her suits and dresses and high heels and burn them in a bonfire. Not to mention the dad. OK, phew. Had to get that off my chest.

Next, I want to crawl in the book and comfort Kayden. Hug him and comfort him and tell him that he is good. But Callie is there for him.

I was so impressed with Callie's growth in this book. She is still insecure and damaged, but she realizes that Kayden needs her. Even if he is trying to pull back.

And Luke and Seth! I love them so much. I want them to be my best friends. I'm so glad Luke gets his own book. I want a book for Seth too! These guys are awesome.

(view spoiler)[
I am so glad Kayden and Callie were able to get rid of their secrets.

Callie's confession to her parents was sooooo emotional. I was right there with her, scared, panting one second, holding my breath the next, wondering if she was going to chicken out, cheering, "come on Callie, you can do this!!!" I was a bit skeptical about how her parents would react (with all their stupid loyalty to Caleb), but they did not disappoint. Her father is my favorite, but her mother came around - THANK GOD! Even Jackson proved to be a pretty stand up guy.

Kayden's situation left me feeling a bit empty. Maybe that was the point, but I wanted him to be able to STAND UP TO HIS FATHER. I'm glad he told his therapist, I'm glad he found his brother, but I can't freaking believe his parents just up and left!!!! I know they are shitty people. And shitty people do shitty things. But I thought this twist prevented Kayden's growth.

And the ending! While not the brutal CH that we were left with in The Coincidence, it was abrupt. The new information with Caleb and his connection with Luke was just thrown in there and then - quick, THE END. Really??? I know she is trying to transition to the next book, but these endings leave me feeling uneasy. I do not get a sense of closure.

(hide spoiler)]


This book made me feel: frustration, angst, rage, sorrow, heartbreak, lust and love. What a roller coaster!!!

I would recommend this to anyone who has read The Coincidence. If I had to do it over again, I would wait until they were all released before I started the series. I just can't handle the endings and the agonizing WAIT for the next book. Because I'm a wimp. If you can handle these things, then dive in! Jessica Sorensen has the skills to pull gut wrenching emotions from you. I could NOT STOP turning the pages.

CH - well, not really, but in the ending you are left with so many questions.

HEA - Callie and Kayden are solid but there is room for more growth and closure, especially with Kayden.

Steaminess - oh yea! The connection and chemistry between Callie and Kayden is hot!

Sequel: The Destiny of Violet and Luke, out January 7th, 2014 (Not soon enough)

4.5 stars for me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment